When it comes to personal injury law, the competition is fierce. As digital marketing professionals at Grow Law Firm, we understand the challenges faced by attorneys who strive to establish themselves in this highly competitive space while earning the trust of their audience. That's why we've developed the Ultimate Guide to Personal Injury Lawyer Marketing — a resource packed with invaluable insights to help you acquire more cases and build a reputable brand for long-term growth.
In this guide, we'll reveal the secrets to successful personal injury lawyer marketing, drawing from years of experience in scaling law firms profitably. Whether you're struggling to attract clients or simply looking to enhance your current marketing efforts, we've got you covered. We'll explore actionable personal injury marketing ideas that will set you apart from the competition.
Don't let your firm's potential go untapped. Get ready to optimize your legal marketing game and maximize your client acquisition. Contact us at Grow Law Firm today and unlock the full potential of your personal injury law practice.
1. What Is Personal Injury Lawyer Marketing
Personal injury lawyer marketing involves strategic efforts to promote legal services, attract clients, and stand out in the competitive legal market. It utilizes various channels like online advertising, SEO, content marketing, and social media to enhance visibility and generate leads. The goal is to communicate expertise, build credibility, and acquire successful cases.
2. Know Who Your Clients Are
Another important aspect of marketing for personal injury law firms is knowing who your clients are. Personal injury law firms typically represent clients who have been injured in accidents or other incidents that were caused by someone else’s negligence. Examples of clients that personal injury law firms can target include:
- Those who have been injured in car accidents, truck accidents, or motorcycle accidents.
- Victims of medical malpractice, including surgical errors, misdiagnoses, and medication errors.
- People who have been injured on the job and are seeking workers’ compensation benefits.
- Those who have suffered injuries due to defective products.
3. Build a Top Personal Injury Website
Your website is one of the most visible elements of your digital marketing efforts. Internet marketing focus groups have revealed that people make immediate judgments about a company or service from their first impression of a lawyer's website content. At the bare minimum, your website should:
- Explain what you do: Your website should establish that you are a personal injury lawyer and that you help people injured in accidents obtain fair compensation for their injuries. People visiting your website should understand that they are your target audience.
- Reveal who you and your Team are: Potential clients want to know who they will be talking to if they call your firm, and who will be representing them if they hire you. Your website should leave the impression that you are ethical, hard-working, and genuinely care about your clients.
- Explain why people should choose you: Your past case results and client testimonials can be very persuasive. Many attorneys incorporate video testimonials of actual former clients for an added trust factor.
- Provide one or more ways to contact you: A phone number and email contact form are common channels. Some attorneys offer a live chat on their website.
Your website is the framework for other marketing efforts like SEO and pay-per-click advertising. Even if you are just starting out with a minimal personal injury attorney marketing budget, you need a website. It should look like it is new or a few years old, not 20 years old.
These best personal injury websites exemplify some of the features that will make your website a lead-generating machine.
- Optimize your personal injury website for mobile
Consider some of the stressful situations people may be in when they realize they need a personal injury lawyer — at the scene of an accident or during a meeting with an unhelpful insurance rep. These aren't situations where a desktop computer will be handy. Instead, people are likely to use their mobile phones to get the help they need right away. This is why you need to make sure you consider a mobile-first approach.
Here are some steps to follow to make your website mobile-friendly.
- Use a responsive design
- Use readable fonts
- Add high-quality images and videos
- Use clear calls-to-action
- Optimize mobile page speed
- Test your website on mobile devices
4. Create a Content Marketing Strategy
As a personal injury lawyer, most of your clients will not be very familiar with the legal system. They may also be hurt, frightened, and worried. You want to be the one who provides them with answers to their questions, offers the information they need, and helps them navigate the legal system. You can do this by providing helpful content to prospective clients.
Start with detailed practice area pages. Focus on areas of specialization that attract the most interest.
Here are some fitting questions to address in personal injury blogs:
- How much does a lawyer cost?
- Can I sue if I was partially at fault?
- How do I file a lawsuit?
- What is the difference between worker's comp and a personal injury claim?
- Are taxes owed on personal injury settlements?
Personal Injury Law Firm Content Examples
Successful law firms typically have four primary types of content:
— Practice Area Pages
Every practice area that a lawyer handles should have a corresponding page that offers valuable, timely information to visitors. Generally, these pages will be long-form (roughly 2,000 words) and detailed explanations of the practice area.
Although content should be written in an evergreen manner to be continually relevant, it should still be updated occasionally. You'll also want to include a call to action to encourage visitors to reach out for a consultation.
— Legal Blogs
Blogging is a great way of showcasing your expertise and providing your audience with useful, educational content. The most effective legal blogs are organized into information hubs, each focusing on a specific cluster of interrelated topics. In addition to providing your customers with useful information, your blogs should drive them to a relevant practice area page that aligns with their search intent.
— Feature Your Best Personal Injury Cases
Referencing some of your toughest cases and highest settlements can boost a reader's confidence in your abilities as an attorney. For instance, you could mention a time that your personal injury law firm obtained a high settlement for a car accident victim. Make sure to walk the reader through the challenges you encountered and how you overcame them, leveraging your expertise.
— Personal Injury Attorney Q&A
Most of your prospective clients will not be familiar with the legal process. By crafting a series of blog posts to answer common questions or address core topics in your area of practice, you can help clients better understand the legal process.
You should create a dedicated FAQ page so that readers can quickly locate important information for the legal challenges they're facing.
5. Invest in Personal Injury Lawyer SEO
Earning top placement in organic search results is one of the key functions of personal injury law firm marketing. Search engine optimization (SEO) is modifying web pages so they are more likely to be prioritized in search engine results for Google and other platforms. These results are served up using algorithms that sort and filter billions of web pages to showcase the most relevant sites.
Search engine algorithms are so polished at this point that users can generally trust the results they receive. For example, a search for a “personal injury firm in Seattle” will return law firms in and around Seattle.
Ads are listed first in search results, but the reality is that some users ignore them. Instead, they will scroll down to find the first few organic results. As a personal injury attorney, landing within the first few positions in organic search results can lead to a big payoff. If your web pages are at the top of the list, this can build authority and generate qualified leads.
Now, imagine doubling those leads with our personal injury marketing services. Watch your practice grow like never before with our expert SEO services!
6. Claim Your Google Business Profile
A Google Business Profile is a free listing that appears in Google search results and provides important information about your law firm, such as your address, phone number, and business hours. When people search for personal injury lawyers in their area, having a verified GBP can help your law firm appear at the top of search results. You need to claim your Google Business profile to take advantage of what the service has to offer. Here's how to make it happen:
- Go to the Google Business website.
- Click "Go to profile.”
- Enter your personal injury law firm's name and click “Continue.” If your firm has multiple locations, you can add them later.
- Choose a category that best describes your personal injury law firm.
- Verify your business by phone or email. Google will send you a verification code that you can enter to verify your business and claim your profile.
Once you have claimed your GBP profile, you can update your business information, such as your address, phone number, and business hours. You can also add photos, respond to client reviews, and manage your online reputation through your GBP dashboard.
7. Invest More in Local SEO
While your law firm needs to be seen by a larger territory, most of your potential clients will come from areas around you. That is why you need to invest in local SEO. Local SEO involves optimizing your website and online presence to appear in local search results when people search for personal injury lawyers in their area. Here are some local SEO efforts that personal injury law firms can focus on:
- Claim and optimize your Google Business Profile, as discussed above.
- Incorporate location-based keywords throughout your website content and metadata to help search engines understand where your business is located and what services you provide.
- Build backlinks from other local websites, such as local directories or news outlets.
- Use schema markup to highlight important information on your website, such as your address, phone number, and business hours.
- Create location-specific content, such as blog posts or landing pages, that focus on your local area.
- Get listed in local directories such as Yelp or Yellow Pages and make sure your business information is consistent across all directories.
8. Get Results with PPC Ads
Pay-per-click (PPC) ads place your firm's name on popular search engines, charging you a certain amount (based on the keyword) whenever someone clicks on an ad.
Personal Injury PPC keywords, like all legal phrases, are highly competitive. Therefore, you will need to set aside a healthy budget if you want to use this personal injury lawyer marketing strategy. You can also mitigate your costs and maximize your ROI by using more specific keywords, like "car accident attorney in LA" instead of "attorney in LA."
Even if you're prepared to spend significant money on your PPC campaign, you shouldn't use it as your primary strategy for accumulating traffic for your personal injury law firm. Instead, use it to supplement your other lead acquisition efforts, such as search engine optimization.
Personal Injury Lawyer Advertising Examples
Below, you will see standard PPC results and rich results. The latter includes photographs of senior personal injury attorneys, Google ratings, and how many years each firm has been in business. These eye-catching ads, located at the very top of the search engine results page (SERP), make it tough for potential clients to scroll past without at least skimming the information in each advertisement.
The next example includes PPC results for "personal injury lawyer." Each of the ads featured below provides relevant information to readers and includes links to popular service pages. Consider leveraging this tactic to draw users to your site.
For additional examples, search for relevant phrases you would like to target in future law firm PPC campaigns.
9. Create Personal Injury Facebook Ads
With over 2.9 billion active users, Facebook offers a massive audience that can be targeted with highly specific advertising campaigns. As the name suggests, Facebook Ads are like the Facebook version of Google Ads.
The paid advertising platform allows businesses to create and display ads to a targeted audience. There are a variety of targeting options to help businesses reach their desired audience. These options include demographics such as age, location, interests, and behaviors. They can also be used to retarget people who have visited your website or engaged with your Facebook Page, increasing the chances of converting them into leads.
10. Create Custom Landing Pages
Each practice area needs a dedicated lawyer landing page. This lets you target users with specific search intent and demonstrate your expertise in each area, landing more clients as a result. For example, you should create a separate page for car accidents, motorcycle accidents, and slip-and-fall incidents.
Personal Injury Firms' Landing Pages Examples
11. Register in Personal Injury Directories
Useful Personal Injury Lawyer Directories
To attract quality, targeted traffic, many personal injury attorneys should invest in specialized lawyer directories. Here are some examples:
Justia has one of the highest domain authorities of all legal directories. As a result, backlinks and citations from Justia help your off-page SEO and support your marketing efforts.
Justia allows you to create a free profile that will appear on the Legal Information Institute website, a resource maintained by Cornell Law School. You can choose a premium membership, adding visibility to your practice.
Avvo is one of the most well-known legal directories and is an excellent source of high-quality leads. It also has a good domain authority, which will help your SEO rankings. You may choose a free listing at Avvo, or you can pay for a premium option that includes additional features and more visibility for your law firm.
Avvo's question-and-answer segment gives attorneys a chance to interact with prospects directly. You simply have to dedicate some time to typing answers.
Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters directory, is highly sought out by attorneys. If you can add the Super Lawyer designation to your name, you will be able to earn more quality leads. However, the catch is that you must be nominated. After you are nominated, you will go through a review process, evaluation, and final selection.
12. Connect with Clients via Social Media
Social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram are effective tools for marketing. Consistently engaging with potential clients on social media platforms helps to ensure that your law firm remains top of mind when they do need legal services.
Some social media marketing tips for creating engaging content include:
- Sharing positive reviews and testimonials
- Highlighting significant client successes
- Utilizing paid advertising options to reach your target audience.
Personal injury law firms can use:
- Facebook to share updates, legal news, and community events, as well as promote their services to potential clients.
- LinkedIn to showcase their expertise, share industry insights, and connect with potential clients, and other professionals in the legal industry.
- Twitter to tweet updates, mention industry professionals, and announce community events/AMAs.
- Instagram to showcase their brand and connect with potential clients through visual content. Post photos and videos that showcase your services, team, and community involvement.
13. Start an Email Marketing Campaign
With email marketing, law firms can communicate updates and promotions to their entire customer base or target specific prospects with tailored emails. Personal injury lawyers can use email marketing to nurture prospective clients with informative blogs and eBooks that walk them through the personal injury case process.
To ensure the effectiveness of a law firm's email marketing campaign, it is essential to send relevant and valuable content at reasonable intervals. Sending too many irrelevant emails can result in clients unsubscribing, which can flag emails as spam. By providing relevant and valuable content, personal injury law firms can use email marketing to effectively nurture prospects, retain clients, and generate referrals.
14. Put Client Reviews Front and Center
There are 2 types of reviews, positive and negative, and the services you deliver determine which kind the client will give you. Positive reviews can help establish your law firm as a trusted and reputable business, while negative reviews can have the opposite effect.
To make the most of client reviews, personal injury law firms should:
- Display reviews prominently on their website, social media pages, and other online profiles.
- Encourage satisfied clients to leave reviews on Google, Yelp, and other review platforms.
- Respond promptly and professionally to negative reviews, addressing any concerns and offering solutions to the problem.
- Use reviews to improve the quality of service that your law firm provides, using feedback to identify areas for improvement.
15. Find Your Personal Injury Law Niche
Niche targeting is the practice of focusing on very specific practice areas, which allows you to reach a highly targeted audience and market without much competition. Additionally, niche targeting helps you stand out as an expert in your field. For example, you may be lost among hundreds of personal injury lawyers in your city, but people will remember you as a niche specialist.
By writing about niche topics, you also increase your chances of connecting with people who are searching for your services. For example, “personal injury lawyer” is a very generic term with lots of competition. In contrast, these are some examples of niche keywords:
- Mesothelioma attorney
- Dog bite injury lawyer
- Childbirth injury attorney
- Medical malpractice lawyer
- Car accident lawyer
- Workplace injury attorney
- Slip and fall lawyer
- Negligent injury attorney
- Motorcycle accident lawyer
- Construction accident attorney
How to Earn More Niche Personal Injury Leads
To begin earning niche personal injury leads, start by creating a practice area page for each of your specialty practice areas. You can link related practice area pages together as well. For example, a car accident injury page can be linked to an automotive wrongful death page.
Here are some fast tips:
- Start with your main practice area page that includes the services related to that area
- Write content about each practice area that allows you to share your knowledge with potential clients
- Create niche subpages to avoid including too much information on the main service page
- Share videos and reviews
Finally, include a clear call to action at the end of every niche practice area page.
16. Measure Your Marketing Results
Personal injury lawyer marketing can be tough, especially if you don't constantly monitor and evaluate your campaigns. This can lead to wasted revenue, especially if you're not sure where things went wrong. Fortunately, you can improve visibility and maximize the reach of your content by leveraging powerful campaign monitoring solutions.
There are several tools that allow you to track conversions and other behaviors:
- Google Analytics: Allows you to track conversions based on your campaigns and other details.
- Google Search Console (GSC): Provides reports based on behavioral data pulled from organic search results, including impressions, clicks, and other metrics. GSC also provides analytics data on landing pages.
- Ahrefs: Use the rank tracker to see how your personal injury website ranks for your target keywords. The tool provides different rankings for mobile and desktop.
- AWR Cloud: This is another search rank tracking tool that can help you analyze organic search performance.
- Semrush: The Semrush traffic analytics tool allows you to collect data on website traffic and conversions. Additionally, you can compare your performance with your competitors.
17. Hire a Personal Injury Marketing Agency
Hiring a personal injury lawyer marketing agency can be a great way to acquire more leads. A marketing agency will handle the day-to-day management of your campaigns, meaning you can focus your energy where it belongs — your clients.
Working with a team of professional marketers will also help you dive right into the world of digital advertising without worrying about wasting your hard-earned money. A reputable firm will bring you up to speed on the latest marketing trends and tactics so that you can make every dollar count.
But not just any marketing agency will be a good fit for your brand. If you want to optimize your ROI, you need a team that specializes in law firm marketing. So when searching for a marketing partner for your practice, verify that they have worked with clients in your practice area. The best agencies will also demonstrate their proficiency by providing real-world results they have achieved for past clients.
Grow Your Personal Injury Law Practice
The personal injury practice area is competitive and daunting. A small law firm or solo practice has to hold its own among large firms with deep advertising budgets. Fortunately, online marketing acts as a true equalizer.
If you are hesitant to test the waters on online marketing, you aren't alone. Many personal injury lawyers prefer to work with experts, especially when a marketing strategy includes paid campaigns. In that case, the best choice is to find a results-focused law firm marketing agency like Grow Law Firm. We specialize in online advertising and marketing for law firms to help them grow their revenue and business. Contact us to discuss your strategy.