As a member or owner of a DUI and criminal defense law firm, you know how vital your services are in providing critical legal representation to individuals facing DUI charges, helping them navigate the complex legal system, and working towards the best possible outcome for their criminal law case.
In the United States, over 4.5 million arrests were made for all offenses in 2021 alone, with over 443,000 of those arrests being for driving under the influence (DUI) offenses. These numbers demonstrate the high demand for criminal defense law firms that can provide skilled representation and help their clients achieve the best possible outcomes.
But even with high demand, attracting clients to your law firm can still be a huge issue. But that's where Grow Law Firm and this article come into play—we have the answers you're looking for! By investing in digital marketing efforts, law firms specializing in DUI and criminal defense can increase their online visibility and generate more leads than ever.
How Can Criminal Defense Lawyers Get More Leads?
Without a steady stream of leads, your practice will quickly suffer. So, how can you get more leads and attract new criminal defense clients? Here are smart marketing strategies to boost your visibility online and attract more clients to your practice.
1. Get More Criminal Defense Clients with SEO Marketing
SEO, or search engine optimization, is the process of optimizing your website to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
It is a crucial part of digital marketing for criminal defense attorneys that can help you attract more clients to your practice.
You need to start with keyword research to get more criminal defense leads using SEO. This involves identifying the terms and phrases potential clients use to search for legal services online. You can use keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, and SEMrush to identify the most relevant keywords for your practice.
Once you have identified your target keywords, you need to optimize your website for on-page SEO. This includes optimizing your website's content, meta tags, images, and internal linking structure. You should also focus on off-page SEO by building high-quality backlinks to your website from reputable sources.
Technical SEO is another critical aspect of your law firm SEO that you should not overlook. This involves optimizing your website's speed, mobile-friendliness, and site architecture to improve user experience and search engine rankings. This may all seem daunting, and if you think you won't have time to tackle it all yourself, leave it to an expert digital marketing agency like Grow Law Firm.
2. Use PPC Advertising to Attract New Criminal Defense Leads
Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising is a type of online advertising where you only pay when someone clicks on your ad. This form of advertising allows criminal defense lawyers to target keywords like "criminal defense lawyer" or "DUI lawyer" and demographics to attract potential clients, such as age, gender, and location.
To get more criminal defense leads using PPC advertising, you should focus on targeting the right keywords and creating compelling ad copy. You can use Google Ads or Bing Ads to create targeted PPC ads at the top of search results pages for specific keywords.
You can also use retargeting ads to target people who have visited your website but did not convert into leads. Retargeting ads can help you stay top-of-mind with potential clients and encourage them to take action.
Though PPC advertising can be effective in generating leads for your criminal defense law practice, it's important to set a budget and track your results so that you can see how much you're spending and how much you're getting in return. You also need to set a bid that wouldn’t lead to overspending.
3. Criminal Defense Attorney Directories Are a Surefire Way to Get Clients
Lawyer directories are online platforms that allow lawyers to create profiles and connect with potential clients. These directories can help lawyers get new leads by increasing their online visibility and credibility. When someone searches for a criminal defense lawyer in their area, they will likely come across these directories and browse through the lawyers' profiles.
There are many criminal defense attorney directories available, so it's important to choose the most relevant to your practice. Some popular directories for criminal defense lawyers include Avvo, Justia, and FindLaw.
Once you've chosen the right directories, you need to make sure your listing is complete and accurate. This includes providing your name, contact information, and a brief practice description. You should also include a link to your website or social media pages.
In addition to providing your basic information, you should also take the time to write a compelling bio that highlights your strengths as a criminal defense lawyer. This is your chance to show potential clients why you're the right person for the job.
4. Earn Clients' Trust by Showing Your Strengths as a Criminal Defense Lawyer
In our experience, this is something often overlooked. One of the most vital parts of generating leads is first making sure they have confidence in you and what you can offer. Trust is important in handling a legal case since clients must tell you all that is necessary while you are representing them. You need to be able to keep secrets, listen attentively, and communicate all the steps to clients effectively.
Some other ways to strengthen the trust are to:
- Highlight your experience and qualifications. Let potential clients know about your experience and qualifications as a criminal defense lawyer.
- Share case studies or success stories can help potential clients understand your approach to criminal defense and how you have helped previous clients.
- Offer a free consultation to help potential clients get to know you and your practice. This can help build trust and establish relationships before they commit to working with you.
5. Reach Nearby DUI Clients with Local SEO
Local SEO is a digital marketing strategy that optimizes your website to rank higher in local search results. For criminal defense lawyers, local SEO is an effective way to reach nearby DUI clients searching for legal services. Here are some local SEO strategies for lawyers that can help you get more leads:
- Map placements: This is the positioning of your location on Google Maps. It uses a red map pin to show your location on the map. Optimize your Google Business Profile to show up in Google Maps when someone searches for criminal defense lawyers in your area.
- Local pack: Local pack is a section in Google search results that displays a map and a list of local businesses related to the search query. Optimize your website content to appear in the local pack, the list of local businesses at the top of search engine results pages (SERPs).
- NAP: NAP is short for name, address, and phone. Lawyers should ensure that their NAP is consistent across all online platforms, including their website, social media profiles, and local directories. The NAP of a criminal defense firm or attorney needs to be correct.
- Google Business Profile (GBP): Google Business Profile is a free tool that allows businesses to manage their online presence on Google. GBP allows criminal defense lawyers to appear on all Google channels, including local pack and Google Maps. Optimize your GBP by providing accurate information, responding to reviews, and posting regular updates. We always tell our legal clients that this has to be one of the first things they do!
6. Leverage Your Criminal Defense Law Firm Reviews to Attract Potential Clients
Ask satisfied clients face-to-face or through email to leave a review on your website, social media profiles, Google profile, or lawyer directories. It is important to respond to positive and negative reviews professionally, as this demonstrates a commitment to client satisfaction.
Referrals can also be a valuable source of new business for criminal defense lawyers since potential clients will likely believe the words of people they know. To get more leads through word-of-mouth referrals:
- Ask satisfied clients to refer their friends and family to their practice.
- Offer incentives such as discounts or free consultations for referrals through referral programs.
- Build relationships with other professionals in the legal industry who may refer clients to you.
7. Make Your Clients Want to Stay with a Great Criminal Defense Law Firm Website
A good law firm's website is the face of the firm in the digital world. It serves as a virtual storefront that showcases the firm's services and expertise while providing a platform for clients to learn more about the firm and its criminal defense attorneys. A well-designed website can play a significant role in keeping clients. But how can you create an outstanding criminal defense law firm website that makes visitors stay and even take action?
- Clear navigation: Ensure your website is easy to navigate, with a clear menu and logical structure.
- Compelling content: Provide high-quality content that answers potential clients' questions and showcases your expertise.
- Strong call-to-action: Encourage potential clients to act by including a clear and prominent call-to-action (CTA) on each website page.
- Responsive design: Ensure your website is optimized for mobile devices, as many potential clients may be searching for legal services on their phones or tablets.
What Is a Good ROI for Criminal Defense Leads?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the ROI for criminal defense leads will vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of lead, quality, and source.
To calculate ROI, we use the formula: ROI = (Net Profit - Cost of Investment) / Cost of Investment * 100
Let's consider an example to illustrate this:
ABC law firm spends $5,000 on various marketing activities to acquire criminal defense leads. Then they managed to get 38 potential leads. These leads eventually resulted in 10 new clients, generating a total revenue of $50,000. The average profit per case for the law firm is $4,000.
Cost of Investment (Marketing Expenses) = $5,000 Net Profit (Revenue - Case Profit) = $50,000 - (10 clients * $4,000 profit per case) = $50,000 - $40,000 = $10,000
ROI = ($10,000 - $5,000) / $5,000 * 100 = 100%
In this scenario, ABC law firm achieved a 100% ROI on their criminal defense lead investment. This means every dollar spent on acquiring these leads. They received an additional dollar in profit.
Can You Buy Criminal Defense Leads?
Lawyers can purchase leads for criminal defense clients from third-party lead generators. These leads typically come from individuals seeking legal representation for criminal cases and are interested in hiring an attorney.
While the ABA does not specifically address the purchase of leads, Rule 5.4(a) prohibits lawyers from sharing fees with non-lawyers, which could raise ethical concerns when purchasing leads from non-lawyer lead generation services. Additionally, Rule 7.2(b) states that lawyers should not give anything of value to a person for recommending their services, with some exceptions.
— How Much Do Criminal Defense Leads Cost?
The cost per lead (CPL) for criminal defense leads can vary depending on various factors. On average, the CPL for criminal defense leads can range from $150 to $500 or more, depending on the lead provider and the quality of the leads. The cost may also vary depending on the location, competition, lead provider, and type of case.
Unfortunately, many of these "leads" either don't convert into paying clients or require too much time and money to make them worthwhile. Furthermore, while buying leads may seem like a quick and easy way to generate new clients, it may not be a sustainable long-term strategy. Some lead providers may sell low-quality or outdated leads, which can result in wasted time and money.
— Should You Buy Criminal Defense Leads?
Rather than spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on individual criminal defense leads with low conversion rates, law firms are better off partnering with an experienced legal marketing agency like Grow Law Firm.
GLF can implement cost-effective digital marketing strategies that generate criminal defense leads over time. We focus on boosting your online exposure through search engine optimization, content creation, and targeted advertising.
As a result, you receive a steady flow of free client inquiries from people actively searching for a criminal defense lawyer like you. This on-demand model produces higher-intent prospects versus purchased leads that may just be fishing for information.
Grow Law Firm Can Help you Increase Your DUI and Criminal Defense Practice
Take advantage of the many strategies available to elevate your criminal defense attorney marketing efforts and increase leads. You can implement these strategies within your law firm or partner with professional agencies like Grow Law Firm. This partnership gives you time to represent your prospective DUI and criminal defense clients, while we take care of getting you more.
Grow Law Firm can help lawyers increase their DUI and criminal defense practice by providing customized digital marketing solutions. With a focus on search engine optimization, web development and design, and PPC advertising, Grow Law Firm can help DUI lawyers attract high-quality leads and build a strong online presence in their industry.