While Google remains the most popular search engine, accounting for over 90% of queries globally, it's short-sighted for law firms to ignore Microsoft Bing. It may seem silly, but as the second largest player in the search market, Bing facilitates approximately 3% of searches every month. This number may not seem significant, but it still translates to millions worldwide relying on Bing for their search queries.
Since Google captures the lion's share of search engine traffic, dismissing Bing would be a missed opportunity. One of the main reasons is that Bing's demographics differ. Its users skew slightly older on average and search from desktops more often. Reaching these users expands your potential pool of clients.
Rather than view the 3% as an afterthought, why not leverage Bing SEO for lawyers to distinguish your firm from local competitors chasing Google clients? The growth potential makes devoting resources to Bing optimization well worth the investment. We will discuss other reasons to consider this undervalued search engine in this Bing SEO guide for law firms.
Why Optimize Your Law Firm Website for Bing's Search Results
Optimizing your law firm website for Bing's search results can provide several advantages that can help increase your online visibility and attract more potential clients. Here are three reasons why you should optimize your law firm website for Bing:
- Clear ranking factors: Bing provides more transparency regarding its ranking factors compared to other search engines. While Google's algorithms can be complex and ever-changing, Bing offers a more straightforward approach. This transparency allows law firms to understand the criteria influencing their website's visibility on Bing's search results pages.
- Less competition in Bing SERPs: Compared to Google, there is less competition in Bing's search results, which means that law firms have a greater opportunity to rank higher and increase their online visibility. With fewer competitors vying for the same keywords, law firms can focus their SEO efforts on targeting specific keywords and phrases relevant to their practice areas, making it more likely for potential clients to find and visit their websites. Law firms can achieve higher Bing rankings with less effort, leading to more leads and clients.
- Opportunity for higher click-through and conversion rates: Bing's user demographic, as mentioned earlier, often differs from Google's. Since Bing users tend to be older and more affluent, it makes them potentially valuable prospects for law firms. Moreover, the targeted nature of Bing's user base may result in increased conversion rates as you connect with individuals who are more likely to seek legal services and take action.
Optimizing Your Law Firm's Website for Bing Search Engine
Imagine this scenario: A potential client is seeking legal services in their area, and they decide to turn to Bing for their search. They type keywords related to their legal needs and hit that search button. There is a high chance your law firm's website appears prominently in the Bing search results if it is well optimized.
Let's explore the key to unlocking Bing’s potential for your law firm’s SEO.
— Technical Bing SEO Tips
Technical SEO involves optimizing a website's core technical level to ensure search engines can properly discover, access, index, and understand its content. This optimization level is crucial for Bing, as technical barriers can prevent your site from being fully detected and analyzed by its web crawlers and bots.
This section will discuss some technical Bing SEO tips that can help improve your law firm's search engine rankings.
- XML Sitemap: An XML sitemap is a file that lists all the pages on your website, helping Bing crawlers understand its structure and index the content more efficiently. Creating and submitting an XML sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools ensures that Bing discovers and indexes all your important web pages.
- Robots.txt: The robots.txt file tells search engines which pages on your website they should crawl and index. It's important to have a robots.txt file to prevent Bing's crawlers from crawling pages that you don't want them to access. To create a robots.txt file, you can use a tool like Robots.txt Generator.
While Bing's algorithm is similar to Google's, there are some unique technical considerations that law firms should be aware of. For example, Bing emphasizes URL structure and domain age more than Google does. This means law firms should ensure that their URLs are descriptive and include target keywords. Additionally, older domains may be given more weight in Bing's algorithm, so it's important to maintain your domain and avoid domain changes if possible.
— On-Page Optimization for Bing
On-page optimization refers to optimizing individual web pages to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines like Bing. This includes optimizing content, HTML tags, and other on-page elements to make it easier for search engines to understand the page's topic and relevance.
Here are some on-page optimization practices to consider specifically for Bing:
- Metadata: Pay attention to the metadata elements, including the title tag and meta description. Ensure each page has a unique, descriptive, and keyword-rich title tag that accurately reflects the page's content. Similarly, craft compelling and keyword-focused meta descriptions that concisely summarize the page's content. Bing uses these elements to understand the context of your web pages and display relevant snippets in its search results.
- Content optimization: High-quality, keyword-rich content is essential for on-page optimization. Law firms should focus on creating content that addresses their target audience's needs and includes target keywords naturally. It's also important to keep content up-to-date and fresh to attract return visits from search engines. Bing also considers the readability and structure of your content, so ensure it is well-organized with clear headings, bullet points, and paragraphs.
- Multimedia optimization: Elements like images, videos, and infographics can help break up content and make it more engaging for users. Optimize your images using descriptive file names, alt attributes, and captions with relevant keywords. Compress images to reduce file sizes without compromising quality, as this can help improve site speed. For videos, consider hosting them on platforms like YouTube and optimizing their titles, descriptions, and tags for relevant keywords.
- User experience: Bing prioritizes websites that provide a positive user experience. Ensure your website is mobile-friendly, as Bing considers mobile compatibility a ranking factor. Improve site navigation by organizing your content logically and implementing clear internal linking. Ensure your website is easy to navigate and user-friendly, with intuitive menus and a clear site structure.
You also have to tailor on-page elements for Bing SEO for lawyers and keep some things in mind. Bing places a higher emphasis on exact match keywords than other search engines. Incorporate relevant keywords, headings, titles, and meta tags into your content. However, avoid overusing keywords and prioritize creating valuable content.
The content you create has to be fresh. Regularly update your website with new blog posts, articles, or legal insights that provide value to your audience. Additionally, consider incorporating a blog section on your website to publish informative and relevant content regularly. For further guidance, refer to the Bing Search Quality Blog Insights.
— List Your Law Firm Office on Bing Places
Bing Places is a free online platform provided by Microsoft. It allows businesses, including law firms, to create and manage their online listings, making it easier for potential clients to find them on Bing and other Microsoft-owned platforms.
Like Google My Business for Google search, Bing Places enables law firms to provide accurate and up-to-date information about their office locations, contact details, business hours, and services.
— Link Building for Bing SEO
Link building is acquiring hyperlinks from other websites to your law firm's website. These links, or backlinks, are crucial in search engine optimization (SEO). Search engines like Bing consider them indications of a website's authority, credibility, and relevance.
Some beneficial types of links to pursue for Bing include:
- Legal directory listings and attorney guides
- Press releases about your law firm and expertise
- Local business citations and chamber of commerce pages
- Educational blogs and articles about legal topics
- Partnership opportunities with related professional associations
When building links, there are tactics to keep in mind for Bing SEO.
- Focus on acquiring high-quality backlinks from authoritative and relevant websites.
- Emphasize natural and organic link acquisition, avoiding spammy or manipulative tactics that violate search engine guidelines.
- Prioritize relevance in the anchor text used for your backlinks, ensuring it accurately reflects the linked page's content.
- Identify broken links on authoritative websites and offer a replacement link to similar content on your website, which can help generate backlinks.
- Continuously monitor your backlink profile using tools like Bing Webmaster Tools to identify and address any low-quality or toxic backlinks that may negatively impact your rankings.
— Law Firms Can Use Social Media for Bing SEO
According to Bing, social media plays a distinct role in achieving favorable search rankings. One of the most noticeable aspects is the influence it can have. If your law firm has a strong social media presence and a significant following, sharing your content with your followers can generate positive signals that Bing takes into account. These signals can ultimately impact your organic search engine ranking in the long term.
Law firms need to actively engage in social media circles to achieve high rankings on Bing. This engagement helps build your brand, increase awareness, and generate positive social signals Bing recognizes and incorporates into its search algorithm.
Consider utilizing a comprehensive social media listening tool to monitor and analyze conversations about your law firm across various platforms. This tool can help you tap into every relevant conversation and gain valuable insights into how your business is perceived online. Furthermore, Bing provides an API that enables you to stay updated on the latest trends and discussions taking place on social media.
While engaging in social media efforts, maintain a clear brand voice and avoid using tactics like buying likes or follows. Bing values authentic social media performance as it reflects the quality of your content and the trustworthiness of your law firm.
— Leverage Bing Webmaster Guidelines and Tools
Bing's webmaster guidelines and tools offer valuable insights and resources for optimizing your law firm's website. Bing provides comprehensive guidelines that outline best practices for website optimization. These guidelines cover various aspects, including technical considerations, content quality, and user experience. Adhering to these guidelines can help ensure that your website meets Bing's standards and maximizes its potential for higher search rankings. Here is a brief list of Bing's webmaster guidelines:
- Create unique, valuable, and relevant content for search users, not search engines.
- Use clean and crawlable URLs.
- Optimize website performance and load times.
- Implement proper redirects and canonical tags.
- Use descriptive titles, headings, and meta tags.
- Acquire high-quality and relevant backlinks.
- Avoid link schemes and manipulative practices.
- Prioritize a positive user experience.
- Optimize for mobile devices.
- Ensure website security with HTTPS encryption.
- Use sitemaps to aid in crawling and indexing.
Bing offers a suite of tools designed to assist website owners in managing their presence on the Bing search engine. These tools provide valuable data and insights, allowing you to monitor your website's performance, identify areas for improvement, and track your Bing SEO efforts. Important features include:
- Site Explorer: This tool lets you view how Bing sees and crawls your website. You can submit sitemaps, analyze backlinks, and monitor indexation status.
- Keyword research: Bing's keyword research tool helps you identify relevant and popular keywords that can be incorporated into your content strategy to improve search visibility.
- SEO reports: Bing provides detailed reports highlighting potential issues affecting your website's performance in search results. These reports offer actionable recommendations to optimize your site for better rankings.
- URL submission: You can submit individual URLs directly to Bing's index, ensuring your content is crawled and indexed promptly.
- Crawl control: This feature lets you specify when Bing's crawler should access your website, helping you manage crawl rates and prioritize important pages.
The Verdict Is In: Bing SEO Delivers for Law Firms
As we've explored, optimizing your law firm website and online presence with Bing in mind yields substantial benefits. From technical configurations like XML sitemaps to content and social media strategies, focusing on Bing's specific algorithms and user behaviors supports organic discovery.
If you want full-service expertise to develop a comprehensive SEO for Bing for your law firm, contact Grow Law Firm. Our team utilizes advanced analytics and strategies to propel legal websites within Bing's immense network. Let's get your brand in front of those searching for legal aid on Bing.